5 Simple Things for Baby to Do in a Highchair

I've always enjoyed keeping my little ones close to me when I'm prepping food in the kitchen. Even at only a few months old, I would put my son's bouncy chair nearby my workstation and chat away to him while chopping vegetables, offering some for him to smell or touch. Once he got a bit bigger, and graduated to the highchair, it became more difficult to keep him sitting for even a short period of time. (He was NOT a fan of babywearing around the house). I did not have the time or mental space to come up with anything fancy for him to play with or to do while sitting there and I know many parents feel the same way. Enter these 5 simple ideas using things already at your fingertips to keep your little one entertained and involved while you're cooking!

1. Treasure Basket - if you follow me on IG you know that I'm a massive fan of 'discovery baskets' which is really a fancy way of saying - take some random stuff and put it in a basket. This is the highchair edition! I don't actually give baby the whole basket like I usually would on the floor, but these would be a few little toys/objects that they might only see when they're in the chair and I'd only hand them one or two at a time. Here's the other catch - I am mindful that these toys are going to fall/be thrown onto my tile floor, and that this type of noise causes me stress, so I choose soft and light things (little teddies, soft rattles, crinkle paper). This activity works well because you can cater to your child's age and change the basket as they grow.

2. Water - another quick way to pass some time (granted it's a little messy, but easy cleanup) is water play! Pour water onto the highchair tray and let it spread out almost to the edges. Baby can splash and explore to their heart's content. If you feel adventurous dilute a tiny bit of food colouring in the water, or pass them a spoon to see if they bang or scoop. If you're feeling REALLY adventurous, pop a spoonful of plain yogurt on the tray instead and let them explore or spread it around (slightly more cleanup) - but honestly just the plain old water should do fine for a few minutes!


3. Mesh Feeder - this is such a great way to expose baby to new tastes and textures without any choking concerns. I didn't use it nearly enough with my first baby, but my second used it all the time! Fill the mesh feeder with your choice of fruit cut up into chunks (you can leave skin on). Baby can hold the ring at the bottom and munch on the fruit up top! My little ones' favourites were grapes and watermelon. I'd fill it in the morning when cutting up our fruit for the day and stick it in the fridge so it was ready to go at a moment's notice. These are amazing for teething too, just fill with frozen fruit or frozen breast milk. Sidenote, it gets juicy/messy - definitely need a bib!

4. Tissue Box Pull - this is another favourite in our house that gets moved around a lot. Once babies have mastered grasping and picking up objects, they begin to explore transferring (taking objects out of or putting them in something). Next time you finish a tissue box, stuff a few little toys in it and tuck it away. My golden rule of 'no loud things hitting the floor' applies here - so I have filled it with little dish cloths for baby to pull out one by one. Fill it up and start again - the activity that keeps on giving!

5. Egg Carton Snacks - food in general is a great way to keep baby entertained in the highchair, and often it's as simple as sprinkling a few puffs on the tray and letting them work on their pincer grip. But if your little one is not finding that challenging anymore (and could eat a whole jar of puffs before you've even chopped a carrot) try adding an empty egg carton. Fill each little space with just a few cheerios or puffs and watch your little one rise to the new challenge! Pincer grip practice + problem solving... just be mindful, it helps to tape the carton to the tray (painter's tape works best) or you will most likely be sweeping many bits off the floor!

Most importantly, on top of all these little tricks to keep their fingers busy, make sure you are talking to your baby while you work too! The kitchen is so rich with language opportunities. Talk about what you're doing, name the foods you're using and hold them up for baby to inspect or smell. Let them taste the things you've deemed safe for them. Sing a song! I know they have only just learned to sit up on their own, but you are laying the foundation here for toddlers and 'big kids' who will want to be involved with their parents in the kitchen. You are fostering your connection with them just by keeping them close while you work, and by letting them see that there are important jobs to be done here in which they can play a role.

What do you find most challenging about having little ones in the kitchen while you're working?

Comments

Popular Posts