Intentions: Take The Whole Picture

Just after Christmas last year (you know that strange little time between Christmas Eve and New Year's?) I came across a blog post from a professional photographer who was setting intentions for their photography in the upcoming year. I've been wracking my brain/browser history and unfortunately can't find the original post, but I still want to share with you the concept and how it inspired me.

The post was full of fantastic tips and tricks for taking beautiful photos whether you owned a professional grade camera or an old iPhone (hello!). The remark that stood out to me the most was the intention of photographing 'moments' by stepping back and including the full picture. This meant not asking the subjects of your photo to say "cheeeeese", not interrupting the moment or drawing attention to the camera, and opening your eyes more to the moments that don't seem 'photo-worthy' because they're just... everyday life. 

For obvious reasons we are incredibly keen to capture the happiest moments in life; the momentous milestones and the joy-filled smiles. We don't often think to snap a picture of Dad doing dishes, or Mom reading the newspaper. We often crop out the background with the messy living room or the pile of laundry on the bed, in favour of the subject. But the photographer was asking us to consider instead our perspective of 'ordinary' life, and to step back and see the beauty there instead.

Perhaps not for every photo, but simply setting the intention really does shift your perspective when you do pull out your camera (or even if you don't, opting to savour the moment instead). As I peek through my photos so far this year, it has certainly added some beauty and interest to my albums. In honour of my lovely Grandmother's birthday this week I've chosen two of my favourites from her house to share with you.


Watching my Grandma with my own children has been such a joy, I can vividly remember standing at this counter with her as a child and helping with the cooking or baking. And these other quiet moments, sitting around the table with our tea and hand sewing: me, my mother, her mother. It has been this quiet trio for so many unphotographed but achingly important moments in my life, and I'm so glad I snapped this one.

Nicole xx

Comments

Popular Posts