Welcome!


I'm Nicole - a teacher, a wife, and a Mom of two little ones. In reality, so much more than those three titles as well, but how does one explain all the nuanced complexity of an identity in a simple introduction?

"Writing" is something I used to list on my resume as a young adult under the 'other interests' category - an insightful attribute but to what end? When you leave school and you are finally set free from the confines of writing for assignments or tests, I think you float around for some time, unsure of what to do with that freedom. This looks like journals only visited from time to time, handwritten love notes sent by snail mail, letters to my children in the future about who they are now, stories and poems dotted throughout a towering pile of unfilled notebooks. Or my favourite love - copying out beautiful words written by others.

So here I find a place that I envision to hold all my little thoughts and stories, and to set myself a purpose for creative writing. As my second maternity leave is coming to an end, and I prepare to slowly return to my career, I find myself reflecting on my urge to create outside of my job, to inspire and be inspired, and to be part of a greater conversation. I'm realizing that when you work on something purely because you love it, there are no rules to be followed. If the words I share bring you joy, please follow along!

“Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.”
— Louis L’Amour
Nicole xx

P.S. If you have little ones in your life feel free to join the conversation on instagram (@gentlefamilyliving) where I share daily small and simple ideas for connecting with our little souls.

In a similar vein, I've also created a place to share what I'd like to call my 'monthly journal' at The Gentle Family blog which will be posted at the start of each month. The journal will surely evolve and change as I do, but my intention is to start our month off right with some simple inspiration and sparks of connection. A way to set intentions for myself and to share that part of myself with my community. You might see...
  • inspiring podcasts, books, or documentaries (for children as well!)
  • slow seasonal intentions - easy ideas to connect with the rhythm of the seasons
  • one small change at home - ideas to make your home more eco-friendly
  • connections through journaling prompts, thoughtful quotes, or activities for kids
  • short stories and poems 
  • an inspiration spotlight highlighting a community member
  • places to explore in our own community #hamont

Comments

Popular Posts